Monday, January 19, 2009

Dr. King and servant leadership

I attended the 24th annual "Keep Alive The Dream" tribute to Dr. King today hosted by the World Arts Foundation. This is the first time I've attended after listening to the simulcast on KBOO for years. What an inspiring event.

I attended because my friend Sharif Abdullah was getting a Lifetime Achievement Award for his work on peace and dialog. Sharif is an inspiration to me because of his commitment to creating a world that works for all. I too am committed to that goal.

This is a historic day. Barrack Obama and Dr. King both highlighted the importance of service to others if we are going to be great.

Dr. King said "Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or the darkness of destructive selfishness. This is the judgment. Life's most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?"

So what are you doing for others?

No comments: