Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"Benefit Corp." law passes in Maryland


I've written a number of blog posts on B-Corporations. TriLibrium, the company I founded, is a certified B-Corporation and I believe, the only public accounting firm in the country that has achieved that designation.

Part of the B-Lab (The non-profit supporting the B Community) strategy was the goal to have the B-Corp designation recognized as a distinct legal entity just like C-Corps and S-Corps. Yesterday, Maryland became the first state to pass a law recognizing B-Corporations. You can read more about that in this article.

Wish I could write more but it is April 14th. Have you filed your taxes?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!

Yes, I have filed my taxes and yes, I like the B-Corp news out of Maryland. One down, 49 to go...

Peter Korchnak said...

Uh-oh, my comment got posted as Anonymous, though I checked the Name/URL option.

The "YES!" comment is by Peter Korchnak, SemiosisCommunications.com.

Sorry about the confusion!

Anonymous said...

Thank for mentioning this and for being certified (as a BCorp that is!) yourself.

Brian C. Setzler, CPA said...

I believe that this entity choice is now available to any US business.

I'm not a lawyer and haven't done any research at this point but I believe an Oregon company could register as a B-Corp in Maryland and operate as a foreign corporation in Oregon.